May — Ning Lin is being promoted to be a Full Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Princeton.
April — Qingchun Li accepts an offer to become an Assistant Professor in Construction Engineering at Purdue University. Congratulations!
March — Avantika Gori accepts an offer to become an Assistant Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Rice University in January 2024. Congratulations!
February — Our study on sequential TC hazards is published on Nature Climate Change. The paper is accompanied by a Research Briefing in Nature Climate Change, and covered by Princeton Engineering, AP, NPR, and other news outlets.
- December — Kairui Feng graduates with PhD. Congratulations! Kairui will stay with us as a postdoctoral researcher.
- November — Dr. Luo Xu joins us as a postdoctoral researcher. Luo received his PhD in Electrical Engineering from Tsinghua University. Welcome.
- September — Avantika Gori wins the AGU Natural Hazards Section Award for Graduate Research. Congratulations!
- August — Elizabeth Tong and Malcolm Blinder join the group to perform their senior thesis research. Welcome!
- August — William Jin joins the group as a Master’s student. William received B.S. in Civil Engineering from UC Berkeley. Welcome!
- August — Our new study on tropical cyclone-blackout-heatwave compound hazard is published on Nature Communications, covered by Princeton Engineering School, NSF Discoveries, the Weather Chanel, and other news media.
- May — Dazhi Xi graduates with PhD. Congratulations! Dazhi will stay with us as a postdoctoral researcher.
- April — Christine Blackshaw wins a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) Award. Congratulations!
- April — Avantika Gori is awarded a Wallace Memorial Fellowship (Princeton Honorific Fellowship) for the 2022-23 academic year. Congratulations!
- April — Amirhosein Begmohammadi joins us as a postdoctoral associate. Amir received PhD in Civil Engineering from U. of Notre Dame. Welcome!
- February — Our new study on rainfall-surge joint hazards is published on Nature Climate Change, covered by Princeton Engineering School, NBC News, NPR News, Popular Science, and other news media.
- Nov. 2021 — Dazhi Xi receives School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) Awards for Excellence for 2021. Congratulations!
- Oct. 2021 — Ning Lin is interviewed by Roland Pease at the BBC Science in Action program, where she discussed about previous paper “Grey Swan Tropical Cyclones“, related to recent Cyclone Shaheen and in light of the winning of Nobel Prize in Physics by Princeton colleague Dr. Suki Manabe.
- August 2021 — Ning Lin is interviewed at CNN Newsroom with Rosemary Church during Hurricane Henri.
- August 2021 — Aidan Hintermaier and Warren Yuan join the group to work on their senior thesis research. Welcome!
- July 2021 — Christine Blackshaw joins the group as a PhD student. Christine received her B.S. in civil and environmental engineering from Columbia University. Welcome!
- April 2021 — Ning Lin receives ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize.
- March 2021 — Together with other Princeton Engineering alumnae, Ning Lin reflects on her graduate study at Princeton, as Princeton engineering celebrates Women’s History Month and the 100th anniversary of Princeton’s engineering school.
- March 2021 — Dr. Shuai Wang joins the group as a postdoctoral associate. Shuai joined us from Imperial College London, where he received his PhD in atmospheric sciences and worked as a postdoctoral associate. Welcome!
- March 2021 — Ning Lin’s research on hurricane modeling and hazard analysis is featured on Princeton University Homepage
- Oct. 2020 – Ning Lin receives 2020 Researcher of the Year Award from ASCE Central Jersey Branch.
- Sep. 2020 – Ning Lin receives Natural Hazards Early Career Award and Global Environmental Change Early Career Award from American Geophysical Union (AGU).
- Aug. 2020 – Renzhi Jing graduates with PhD in CEE. Congratulations!
- Aug. 2020 – Our research is featured in Princeton’s homepage story “Water, drought and flooding: A half-century at the environmental forefront“, one of a series to present the sweep of Princeton’s environmental excellence over the past half-century.
- July 2020 – Lin discusses about coastal adaptation and resilience at the annual retreat of Princeton E-ffiliates Partnership.
- June 2020 – Fang Zhang graduates with Master’s in CEE. Congratulations!
- May 2020 – Luis Ceferino accepts offer to join New York University (NYU) as an assistant professor in January. Congratulations!
- Dec 2019 — Renzhi Jing and Kairui Feng receive student travel awards to attend the Symposium on Hurricane Risk in a Changing Climate (June 7-11, 2020, at the Baker’s Cay Resort in Key Largo, Florida). Congratulations!
- Oct 2019 — Renzhi Jing receives a School of Engineering and Applied Science Award for Excellence. This award is given to SEAS advanced graduate students who have performed at the highest level as scholars and researchers. Congratulations!
- Sep 2019 — Our design for coastal resilience for Jamaica Bay is featured on Princeton homepage.
- Sep 2019 — Our paper on TC flood risk for the US east and gulf coasts is featured by NSF’s 4 Awesome Discoveries.
- Sep 2019 — Professor Mingfeng Huang visits us for the Fall from Zhejiang University in China. Welcome!
- August 2019 — Dr. Luis Ceferino Rojas joins the group as an Andlinger Postdoctoral Fellow. Luis graduated with PhD in Civil Engineering from Stanford University in 2019. Welcome!
- April 2019 — Avantika Gori receives the 2019 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Award. Congratulations!
- Oct 2018 – Our research is featured by Open Access Government.
- Sep 2018 – Avantika Gori joins the group as a PhD student. Avi received B.S. and M.S. from CEE at Rice University. Welcome!
- Sep 2018 – Zhang Fang joins the group as a Master’s student. Fang received his B.S. from CEE at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Welcome!
- Sep 2018 – Muhammad Sajjad joins the group as a visiting student for a year. Muhammad is a PhD student in City University of Hong Kong under the supervise of Prof. Johnny Chan. Welcome!
- Aug 2018 – Reza Marsooli became an assistant professor in the Dept. of Civil, Envir. & Ocean Engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology. Well done. Congratulations!
- June 2018 – Siyuan (Henry) Xian and Ping Lu graduate with PhD in CEE. Congratulations!
- April 2018 – Ning Lin is promoted to associate professor with tenure at Princeton, effective July 1, 2018.
- Dec 2017 – Our research and NSF Hazard SEEs project are featured in Research Features.
- Sep 2017 – Hurricane Irma devastated Caribbean Islands and Florida. Siyuan Xian and Kairui Feng lead a team to survey damage in the Florida Keys.
- Sep 2017 – Hurricane Harvey devastated large areas of Texas. Siyuan Xian and Kairui Feng join a multi-university team to survey damage in south coast of Texas.
- Sep 2017 – Ojima Agada joins us to work on his senior thesis research on hurricane surge flood risk analysis for Tampa, Florida.
- Aug 2017 – Dazhi Xi joins us as a PhD student. Dazhi obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Atmospheric Science at Nanjing University, China. Welcome!
- Aug 2017 – Kairui Feng joins us as a PhD student. Kairui obtained his Bachelor’s degree in CEE at Tsinghua University, China. Welcome!
- July 2017 – Ben Schenkel is appointed as a Research Scientist at University of Oklahoma and NOAA Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies, starting on Oct. 1. Well done and congratulations!
- June 2017 – Siyuan Xian receives Mary and Randall Hack ’69 Award from Princeton Environmental Institute. Congratulations!
- June 2017 – Adam Hatzikyriakou graduates with PhD in CEE. Adam will join Exponent as an Associate Engineer. Well done and congratulations!
- Dec. 2016 – Ning Lin receives an NSF CAREER Award.
- Nov. 2016 – Jie Yin returns to China and becomes an Associate Professor at East China Normal University. Congratulations!
- Sep. 2016 – Sanne Muis joins the group as a visiting student from VU University Amsterdam. Welcome!
- August 2016 – Dr. Haiwei Xu joins the group as a visiting scholar from Zhejiang University, China. Welcome!
- June 2016 – Alexis Bachas graduates with M.S. in CEE. Alexis will pursue a MBA at London School of Economics. Congratulations!
- June 2016 – As a part of our NSF Hazards SEES project, we co-organized a workshop on “Current Flood Insurance Policy and Potential Improvements” at the Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania, June 9th, 2016.
- June 2016 – Siyuan (Henry) Xian receives Princeton’s PEI-STEP fellowship. Congratulations!
- May 2016 – Ning Lin receives Princeton’s Howard B. Wentz, Jr. Junior Faculty Award for excellence in teaching and scholarship.
- Dec 2015 – Dr. Benjamin Schenkel joins us as a Postdoctoral Associate. Ben was a NSF Postdoctoral Fellow at the University at Albany, SUNY, and he received his PhD in Atmospheric Science from the Florida State University. Welcome!
- Sep 2015 – Shaun Stojak and Kevin Tresselt join the group to work on their senior thesis. Welcome!
- Aug 2015 – We receive multi-year NSF Hazard SEES grant to study hurricane hazards and risk (9/1/2015-8/31/2019; $2.7 million). The project will be centered at Princeton and strongly connected to GFDL, MIT and UPenn (subawards). The PI is Ning Lin, and the Co-PIs are James Smith, Kerry Emanuel, Howard Kunreuther, Thomas Knutson, Guy Nordenson, Gabriel Vecchi, and Michael Oppenheimer.
- July 2015 – Ning Lin is reappointed by New York City Mayor de Blasio to the third New York City Panel on Climate Change (NPCC3), which will provide the best available climate science to inform the City’s resiliency planning. After Hurricane Sandy in 2012, Lin was appointed by Mayor Bloomberg to NPCC2.
- July 2015 – Ning Lin is selected to speak on forecasting natural disasters at NAE’s 2015 U.S. Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, to be held on September 9-11, at the National Academies’ Beckman Center in Irvine, Calif.
- June 2015 – Eric Shullman receives W. Taylor Thom, Jr. Prize. Awarded to a senior in the area of Geological Engineering who has a strong academic record and who has written an outstanding thesis. Well done Eric!
- April 2015 – Talea Mayo receives Assistant Professorship in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering at University of Central Florida, to start in August 2015. Congratulations Talea!
- Mar.2015 – Daniel Chavas receives Assistant Professorship in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences at Purdue University, to start in Jan. 2016. Congratulations Dan!
- Mar. 2015 – Our SCR project presents an exhibition on March 13-15, Brooklyn, NYC.
News – 2014
- Dec. 2014 – Our paper “Evaluating flood resilience strategies for coastal megacities,” 2014, Science, receives the prestigious Lloyd’s Science of Risk Prize (top prize in the climate change category).
- Dec. 2014 – Our Structures of Coastal Resilience (SCR) project is reported as a cover story in Discovery, Princeton’s annual research magazine contains novel research findings, feature articles, books and awards from University researchers.
- Nov.2014 – Eric Shullman is named as one of two Princeton “J. Rich Steers Awardees” by the New York City Post of the Society of American Military Engineers (S.A.M.E.) for the academic year 2014-2015. Congratulations!
- Nov. 2014 – Dr. Jie Yin joins us as a one-year visiting scholar from China. He is an Associate Professor in Physical Geography in Zhejiang Gongshang University. Welcome!
- Oct. 2014 – Our paper “Heightened hurricane surge risk in northwest Florida revealed from climatological-hydrodynamic modeling and paleorecord reconstruction,” 2014, J. Geophys. Res-Atmos., is highlighted in Research Spotlight of EOS, Transactions American Geophysical Union.
- Sep. 2014 – Adam Hatzikyriakou receives the Sherred Fellowship in Structural Engineering. Congratulations!
- Sep. 2014 – Ariel Sanders and Eric Shullman join the group to work on their senior thesis. Welcome!
- Aug. 2014 – Renzhi Jing joins the group as a PhD student. She joins us from Peking University, China, where she received B.S. in Atmospheric Science. Welcome!
- Aug. 2014 – Alexis Bachas joins the group as a Master’s student. He joins us from University of London, England, where he received B.S. in Civil Engineering. Welcome!